blogger visitor

Wednesday, November 29, 2006


As unlikely as it seems, 95,746 taxpayers did not receive tax refund checks due to bad mailing addresses with the IRS. The checks, worth a total of $92.2 million, can be claimed as soon as their owners update their addresses with the IRS. Some taxpayers have more than one check outstanding.

Refund checks can go astray for a variety of reasons. Sometimes a life change results in a change of address. When a taxpayer moves or changes address and fails to notify the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service, a check sent to the taxpayer's last known address is returned to the IRS.

Think you may have missed a refund check? Taxpayers can use the "Where's My Refund?" feature on the home page of the Web site to learn the status of their refunds. This system also allows for the entry of a corrected mailing address i fthe returned check was issued within the last 12 months.

A taxpayer can also ensure the IRS has his or her correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address. Download the form from or request it by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676). Another way to avoid a lost refund is to arrange for its payment via direct deposit.

IR-2006-178, Nov. 16, 2006

No comments: